Creating a background for your video
Want to make your video more polished? Adding a background is a great way to do that.
Adding a background to your Squigl video is a quick and easy way to have your media be more polished. This article covers how to add a background to your Squigl video as well as how to create one using some tools you might have available to you.
Adding a background to your Squigl video
There are two places in Squigl where you can add a background image to your canvas:
From either step, we recommend that your background be 1920 x 1080 pixels.
From Step 5 of the video creation workflow
- From step five of the video creation workflow, scroll to the bottom of the screen.
- Click on Select File under the Background Image section. This will open up the image explorer where your image library will display.
- Select the image you would like to use as your background.
- If you'd like to add a new file, scroll to the bottom of the explorer using the outermost scroll bar. Upload the file that you would like to use for your video.
If you'd like to control the opacity of the background image, we recommend uploading your background from the Timeline editor.
From the Timeline editor
- From the Timeline, select Add Background Image
- From the menu which appears on the right, select the image from your library you wish to use as your background.
- If you want to upload a new image, use the outermost scrollbar to scroll down and select Upload File
- Adjust the opacity levels, if desired. Then select Save Changes.
Creating a background image from scratch
Need to create a background image? This can be done quickly and easily using some commonly available tools. Here we will outline how to do this using either PowerPoint or Canva.
- Create a blank PowerPoint slide that incorporates all of the design elements you want.
- You'll need to resize the slide to be 1920 x 1080 resolution:
- Select the Design tab
- Select Slide Size then Custom Slide Size.
- In the dialog box which appears, enter 20 inches for width, 11.25 inches for height. Select OK.
- From the File menu, select Export then Change File Type.
- Select .png or .jpeg.
Canva is an online, lightweight graphic design software that you can use to create all types of design assets.
- From the Home screen, select Create a Design in the right-hand corner. Select Custom Size and the resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Add all of the design elements you want for your background. When finished, select Download from the upper right-hand corner.
- The file which downloads can then be used as your background in Squigl.